What time is Moving Day Kansas City?
Registration and all activity areas open at 9:00 a.m. Saturday, June 8. The Opening Ceremony for the Walk begins promptly at 10:15 a.m. at the Stage and the Closing Ceremony will begin approximately 11:30 a.m.at the Stage. Activities and Exhibits will end at 11:45 a.m.
Where is Moving Day Kansas City?
Moving Day is at the Liberty Memorial at the National World War I Museum, 2 Memorial Drive, Kansas City, MO. Activities will take place on the Southeast lawn. Use the Main Street entrance to access Memorial Drive. You’ll turn right on Liberty Memorial Mall. Please follow the signage to the parking area.
What happens if it rains?
Moving Day takes place rain or shine.
What is the registration fee?
Moving Day Kansas City does not charge to participate in our event. As our largest fundraiser, however, we hope that everyone in attendance makes a donation and/or fundraises with a walk team.
Do I have to be on a team? How big do teams have to be?
You can participate in Moving Day Kansas City as an individual. There’s no size requirement for teams. Whether your team has two members or 200, we’re happy you’re participating in Moving Day Kansas City to raise money and awareness of Parkinson’s disease.
Do I have to visit the Registration Tent? What if I registered online?
Yes. We ask that everyone in attendance stops by the Registration Tent, even if you’ve already registered online. It’s how we’ll provide you with important information, maps, schedules, and last minute changes. It’s also where you can pick up a Passport that you can enter into a drawing for a Visa gift card during the Closing Ceremony.
I have donations to turn in. Can I do that on Saturday?
You sure can! Please drop them off at the Registration Tent when you arrive.
Can I make a donation at Moving Day?
Of course! We’ll be accepting cash, check, and credit card donations at Registration.
Will donations that are made or turned in on Saturday be reflected on the Moving Day website?
No. We will be counting donations during the event, which allows us to honor our top fundraising teams during our ceremony. These donations will not be processed online until the week following Moving Day.
I’m still waiting for some donations. Can I turn them in after the event?
YES!!! You can continue fundraising and turn in donations up to 30 days after Moving Day Kansas City. Donations can either be made online or mailed to our office.
What should I tell people who don’t want to donate online?
Donations can be mailed to Parkinson’s Foundation Heartland Chapter, ATTN Moving Day Kansas City, 8900 State Line Rd., Suite 320, Leawood, KS 66206. Please make checks payable to Parkinson’s Foundation. Include Moving Day Kansas City and your name on the memo line so we can properly attribute the funds to you and your team.
How do I get a t-shirt? Can I buy one?
Limited-edition Moving Day Kansas City t-shirts are awarded to participants who have raised $100 or more. Registration officials will provide you with redemption information to claim your t-shirt on Saturday. They are not for sale.
I raised a lot of money – do I get a shirt for every $100 that I raised?
No, participants who raise $100 or more are only eligible to receive one shirt.
I raised $1,000 and have 10 team members; does everyone on my team get a t-shirt?
No, the shirt is only awarded to the person who raised the money.
Do I get a t-shirt if I donated $100 to a walker?
No, the shirt is only awarded to the person who raised the money. However, you can register to walk and self-donate to raise the $100 needed to earn a shirt.
Is Moving Day kid friendly?
Yes! Please bring the whole family! Moving Day Kansas City is a great opportunity for all your loved ones to rally around friends or family battling Parkinson’s disease. We’ll have all types of activities for the younger set to enjoy in the Kids Zone.
Can I bring my dog?
Well-behaved dogs are welcome on a leash. Please stop by Registration to fill out a dog waiver. And of course, please make sure you clean up after your pet.
How far is the walk? Is it timed?
The walk will have a 5k or 1 mile option. The walk is on a paved path that easily accommodates strollers, walkers, wheelchairs, and scooters. This is not a timed/chipped run/walk.
Who can help if I have questions or get lost at the event?
Please look for a volunteer in a bright yellow shirt or a Moving Day Committee Member in a gray t-shirt. Lead volunteers will also be wearing nametags.
Will there be food or beverages?
Free bottled water, coffee, fruit, and other snacks are available to participants (while supplies last) at the Refreshments Bottled water stations are also scattered around the walk route.
Are ADA restrooms available?
Restrooms, including ADA compliant restrooms, are available at the north end of the event site, Please site layout map.
Is First Aid on site?
Your safety is our top priority. First Aid is located at the south end of the event site next to the Volunteer Check-In Tent. Please alert a volunteer if there is an emergency.
Is there a hashtag I can use for social media?
Yes! Thanks for asking! Please let everyone in your network know how much fun you’re having while helping to raise awareness by using the hashtags #move4PD or #BeatParkinsons.
How do I get a Passport so I can enter the drawing for a Visa Gift Card?
Passports can be picked up at Registration. The Passports contain squares labeled with our National and Local sponsors,
- Stop by the areas and booths listed on the Passport to get each of your squares filled.
- Once you’ve completed all the squares, enter your contact information on the Passport and drop it off at the Rewards Tent
- Passports need to be turned in by 11:00 a.m. to be eligible for the drawing.
- Three winners will be drawn during the Closing Ceremony. You must be present at the drawing in order to win.
I see lots of people wearing different colored beads. Where can I get those?
The beads are available for free in the Mission Tent at the Connection Station. The different colors represent your connection to Parkinson’s.
In addition to the walk, what else can I do?
The walk is just one part of Moving Day Kansas City. There are many other activities at Moving Day:
- Resource Pavilion– Visit with local businesses and organizations to learn about the services they provide to the local community and people with Parkinson’s.
- National Sponsor Row – Meet with our National Sponsors and learn about the opportunities they provide for the Parkinson’s community.
- Stage – Home of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, the Stage is also party central thanks to music provided throughout the event. After you’ve finished walking, be sure to stick around for the Closing Ceremony so you can learn which teams won awards. We’ll also be drawing the winners of our Passport Contest during the Closing Ceremony and you must be present to win.
- Top Fundraiser Breakfast: All participants that have raised $500 or more and the top 5 teams as of Saturday, March 30, 2019 are invited to join us at the breakfast. Your Moving Day Staff partner will announce and provide additional details to those teams and individuals prior to the event.
New Fundraising Incentives for Individuals Fundraising Rewards page
- $100 – signature event t-shirt (individuals that raise $100+ will get this t-shirt)
- $250 – signature t-shirt & water bottle
- $500 – signature t-shirt, water bottle & VIP Continental Breakfast for you and a guest
- All participants that have pre-registered must check-in at the Registration Tent on walk day.
- Team Photo Area– Gather your team together for group pictures! Also, be on the lookout for our roving photographer to take your picture. If you take pictures, please share them to our Facebook page or tag them with our hashtags #BeatParkinsons, #Move4PD, #MovingDayKC.
- Kids Zone – Activities for the younger set include games, face painting, and free balloon sculptures.
- Parkinson’s Foundation Mission Tent – Learn about all the free resources, educational materials, programs, and training available from the Parkinson’s Foundation. Fill out a Walk Bib to honor loved ones and show why Moving Day is important to you. Visit the Parkinson’s Connection Station to get free beads that you can wear to show your connection to Parkinson’s disease.
- Movement Pavilion – Get moving at our signature pavilion! Here’s an opportunity for everyone to try out many Parkinson’s-friendly exercises led by trained professionals.
Will the other areas still be open during the walk?
Yes! We understand not everyone will participate in the walk, so all activities will still be available during the walk. However, we do encourage everyone to join us at the Main Stage for the Opening and Closing Ceremonies.
What activities are in the Movement Pavilion?
EVERYONE is invited to get moving at the Movement Pavilion. Exercises are Parkinson’s-friendly and can be done both seated and standing. Schedules will be posted throughout the event site and available at Registration. Detailed information about the classes and where you can find them will be available at the Movement Pavilion.